Quite often a child who has a decreased attention span when listening or is disruptive in the classroom, is given the label of having ADD-Attention Deficit Disorder or ADHD-Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity Disorder.
Parents often feel they have no other choice, but to have the child placed on medication. Hypnosis has been found to be very beneficial for ADD/ADHD.
Some symptoms of the inattentive type of ADD are:
- Being easily distracted from a task, lesson, or conversation
- Difficulty keeping the mind on any one thing
- Getting bored with a task before it’s completed
- Skipping over details
- Making careless mistakes
- Difficulty listening when directly addressed
- Difficulty following instructions or finishing tasks
- Disorganization and forgetfulness
- Children with ADD often bounce from task to task without completing any of them, or skipping necessary steps in procedures. They often have difficulty learning new material. Organizing their schoolwork and their time is harder for them than it is for most children.
Symptoms of hyperactivity/impulsivity
Youngsters with hyperactive or impulsive symptoms of ADHD seem to be always in motion. Sitting still can be very difficult for them. They may try to do several things at once, bouncing around from one activity to the next.
Children experiencing the hyperactive/impulsive form of ADHD may:
- Fidget and squirm or have trouble staying seated at all
- Move around constantly, often running or climbing inappropriately
- Have difficulty with quiet, sedentary activities
- Talk excessively
- Blurt out answers before questions are completed
- Speak tactlessly or inappropriately
- Exhibit difficulty waiting
- Interrupt or intrude on others
- Hypnosis has been very successful in the treatment of ADD/ADHD. Unlike the side effects of medications that are used for ADD/ADHD, there are no adverse side effects with hypnosis. Children and teens, as well as adults, are able to experience the relaxed state of hypnosis. All of the “chatter” that normally is going on in the conscious mind, quiets down.
Some of the Benefits of Hypnosis for ADD/ADHD:
- Improved concentration and attention to details
- Improved organizational skills
- Increased self-confidence
- Improved behavior
- Reduced stress and anxiety